What’s more American than the Hot Pocket? The cheeseburger! That’s right, this vegan take an a pizza pocket is filled with incredible cheeseburger flavor. This recipe starts with store bought or homemade pizza dough, and is stuffed with browned Beyond Burger, sauteed onion, and Follow Your Heart American cheese. Whether fresh out of the oven, or reheated in the microwave, these incredible cheeseburger pizza buns will be a hit with children, or those that are still children at heart.
Make sure to try the other incredible flavor combinations!
These savory pizza buns make an amazing after school or anytime snack. They are easy to prepped and frozen, and reheated in no time.
- 1 ½ pounds pizza dough (see notes)
- 1 package Beyond Burger, or 2 cups of your favorite vegan ground meat product
- 4 slices of vegan American cheese (I prefer Follow Your Heart)
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a pan on medium heat, add your onions, seasonings, and Beyond Burger. Brown the burger as you would ground beef, breaking up the patties with your wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the meat is starting browned and caramelized. Beyond Burger will stay slightly red even though it is cooked, so judge it mostly from the caramelization.
- Allow the burger to cool to room temperature before filling your dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Make sure your dough is room temperature before starting to work with it. Divide your dough into 8 equal portions. One portion at a time, use your hands to spread out the dough into a 4 to 5 inch circle. Place the dough onto the counter, and place a quarter of a slice of cheese in the center. Top the cheese with a scant ¼ cup of the burger, and then top the burger with another quarter slice of cheese. Pull opposite ends of the dough across the filling and pinch together. Contine pulling up edges of the dough and bringing them to the center until the filling is completely covered with dough. Take care not to pull up too much dough at a time, because you want the bottom of the balls to be about as thick as the top and sides.
Place the balls onto a nonstick cooking surface, and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the balls are browned on the top. If the tops are quite brown, but the bottoms are still blond, flips the balls over, and allow them to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Serve warm with a side of ketchup and mustard, or allow to cool to room temperature before placing them in the fridge or freezer. To reheat in the microwave from frozen, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave on high for 1 minute. To reheat in an oven or toaster oven from frozen, bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes.
Note: I think the dough is actually pretty important in this recipe. You can use store-bough, but my all-time favorite pizza dough is the "flatbread" dough from the Crossroads Kitchen cookbook. It makes exactly 1.5 pounds. Buy the cookbook. or Google it. You should be able to find it.