As the weather cools down a bit, I start to crave warm and comforting dishes like chili. With these black bean chili oats, you get all of the flavor of a chili mixed with the whole grain goodness of oats. The hearty black beans paired with the chewiness of the steel cut oats make this a super satisfying go-to breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
These savory black bean chili oats a healthy, quick and easy way to satisfy your chili craving. Have these for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup gluten free steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 tablespoons diced green chilis
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup spinach or greens
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- fresh cilantro leaves
- vegan yogurt (I prefer Kite Hill's Greek yogurt)
To a medium sized pot on medium heat, add everything except for the spinach and lime juice. If you’re using a sturdier green such as kale, add them now as well.
- Bring the mixture just up to a boil, and then reduce the temperature to low so that you are barely seeing any bubble action in the pot.
- Set your timer for 10 minutes, and allow to simmer uncovered, stirring frequently to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. If the water seems to be evaporated before the 10 minutes is up, add a few tablespoons of water and continue to cook.
- When the time is up, add the lemon juice and the spinach. Stir to combine, and then place a lid on the pot and allow to rest for 1 minute.
Spoon your Savory Black Bean Chili Oats into a bowl, and top with a dollop of vegan yogurt and fresh cilantro.
- If you make this ahead, just reheat in a pot using a few tablespoons of water. The texture should return perfectly.
Note: This recipe has zero added salt. Most people are not used to eating foods with zero added salt. Using vegetable or vegan chicken stock with boost the flavor of this dish immensely, along with a bit of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. If you just can’t stand it, add a pinch or two of salt to taste.You’ll be surprised how the smallest bit of salt will kick things up.