I’ve created is a Japanese Style Tofu “Egg” Salad Sandwich, full of all of the the flavors from your childhood, with a secret ingredient that will take your tofu salad to the next level.
Japanese style sandwiches have been all over Instagram lately, and for good reason: they’re totally cute! But not everyone has a trendy Japanese sandwich shop nearby to setup a photoshoot, so I’ve created two delicious and easy-to-make sandwich recipes that are sure to help you up your Insta-sandwich game.
The best tofu “egg” salad ever!
- 7 ounces firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard, or more to taste
- 1 scallion or green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pinches sugar
- 2 pinches salt, or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices soft vegan white bread
- Cut your tofu into ¼ inch slices. Sandwich the slices between between two towels, and pat dry. Stack the slices and cut then into ¼ inch strips, and then cut those strips into ¼ inch cubes. Cut 1 scallion or green onion into thin slices, and then add the tofu and onion to a mixing bowl. Add vegan mayo, yellow mustard, 2 pinches of sugar, and a 2 pinches of salt to the bowl along with a a bit of black pepper.
Stir carefully, as to not break up the cubes, until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. Save in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To assemble, lightly spread Dijon mustard onto one slice of bread. Spoon on the tofu “egg” salad, and then top with another slice of bread. Carefully cut the crust off of the long sides of the sandwich, and then cut the sandwich into 3 equal portions. Serve with the filling-side facing up.