This recipe is a whole food, plant based version of America’s favorite jalapeno-based party food.
A whole food plant based take on the popular spicy appetizer
- 1 batch of cultured cashew cream cheese (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 10-15 jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise, and seeded.
- Shiitake bacon*
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine the cashew cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parsley. Fill each jalapeno half with the cashew cream cheese mixture. Place a piece of shiitake bacon on top of each half. Place your stuffed jalapenos on a baking sheet, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown, and the jalapeno as started to soften. Serve warm or room temperature.
*For the Shiitake Bacon, I used Lauren Toyota’s recipe from her book Vegan Comfort Classics. Instead of using fresh shiitake mushrooms, I used dried, and then added about ¼ cup of water to the recipe. I let the dry mushrooms hydrate and marinate overnight. When I was ready to use them, I sliced the caps into thin strips. If you want your bacon to be crispy, I would suggest cooking it ahead, and then adding it at the end.
This is a super simple cashew cream cheese recipe that can be the base of so many amazing vegan dishes.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 vegan probiotic capsules
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- About ¼ cup of water or as needed
- Soak the cashews for about 12 hours in filtered water. Or, add the cashews to a pot with about 3 cups of filtered water, and bring to a boil. Turn off the burner, and allow to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse the cashews in cold water and then add to a food processor with the salt and nutritional yeast. Blend until the cashews are a creamy consistency, adding water as needed, but not too much. You are looking for a cream cheese texture. Open the probiotic capsules and add them to the processor, making sure the cashew mixture isn’t too warm from processing. Blend until evenly distributed.
- Pour the cashew mixture into a glass bowl, and cover with cheese cloth or a thin cloth. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours.