For when you’re craving your favorite Americanized Mexican fast food, but want more than just a seven layer burrito without the dairy… That’s right, when you’re craving a grilled burrito, or a “Crunchwrap”, and you know there’s no such thing as a “cheat day” for vegans! You can make this “Vegan Cruncherito Supreme” to satisfy all of your flavorful needs. P.S. This recipe is also your ticket to the best nachos of your life.
This video is a departure from the last few. It’s a bit more casual, and I talk to you a bit about why I went vegan in the first place. If you like this style, give it a thumbs up and leave a comment.
For when you’re craving your favorite Americanized Mexican fast food, but want more than just a seven layer burrito without the dairy... That’s right, when you’re craving a grilled burrito, or a crunch wrap, and you know there’s no such thing as a “cheat day” for vegans! You can make this “Vegan Cruncherito Supreme” to satisfy all of your flavorful needs. P.S. This recipe is also your ticket to the best nachos of your life.
- Flour tortillas
- Butternut Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
- TVP Taco Meat (recipe below)
- Cilantro cream sauce (recipe below)
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced onion
- Taco sauce
- 1 can pureed butternut squash (or 1 ½ cups of cooked butternut squash)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 pickled jalapeño slices
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño pickling liquid
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca flour/starch
- ½ cup non-dairy milk or water
- 1 ½ cups TVP
- 1 ½ cups water or stock
- 1 teaspoon bouillon (if using water)
- 1 package of taco seasoning (enough for 1 pound of meat)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- a dash of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- ½ cup of raw cashews, soaked and drained
- ¼ cup of water
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Add everything to a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and viscous. Pour into a pot, and warm through.
Heat the water or stock until just under boiling. Add the bouillon, taco seasoning, soy sauce, and chili powder. Stir to combine. Add the TVP, stir, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan to medium, and add your oil. Pour in the TVP, and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. The TVP doesn’t really have to cook, you’re just trying to get some caramelization and concentration of flavors.
- Add the ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy. Taste for salt and acidity.
- Warm a flour tortilla for about 15 seconds; just until it becomes soft. Layer the meat, cheese sauce, chips, onions, lettuce, hot sauce and cream sauce. Roll into a burrito.
- Bring a pan to medium heat, and place your burrito, seam-side down, into the pan. Let brown, and then flip over onto the opposite side and let brown. Serve.
Add chips to a plate. Top with the meat, cheese sauce, onions, lettuce, hot sauce and cilantro cream sauce.