100% vegan, and by far the most convincing replacement for the original chicken sandwich that inspired these sandwiches.
- Teriyaki Chick’n (recipe below)
- Wasabi-Pineapple Mayo (recipe below)
- Shredded vegan cheese
- 1 package of Tofurky brand “Sesame Garlic” flavored chick’n, or 8 ounces of your favorite vegan “chicken” alternative
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (I used the 356 brand from Whole Foods)
Open the package of chick’n, and add it to a nonstick pan on medium heat. Sear on all sides for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and warmed through. Turn the heat down to low, and pour the sauce over the tempeh. Carefully stir and flip to coat. Cook until the sauce is coating the chick’n.
- ½ cup Vegenaise or your favorite vegan mayo
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder or more to taste
- Salt to taste
Add everything to a bowl, and stir until combined. Taste for seasoning (the wasabi flavor will develop and deepen as it sits). Transfer to a sealable dish and chill until ready to serve.
While the chick’n is still hot in the pan, add your vegan cheese to the top and allow it to slightly melt. Spread a generous helping of your wasabi-pineapple mayo on each side of your bread. Add as much teriyaki chick’n as you can handle. Top with shredded iceberg lettuce. Serve and enjoy.