Who doesn’t love having all of their favorite savory breakfast foods wrapped up in a tortilla and grilled? I know I do. So, that’s why I decided to take a crack at veganizing Taco Bell’s Breakfast Crunchwrap. I went on their website, found out everything they stuff inside, and then I came up with vegan alternatives for everything that wasn’t already vegan (the tortilla). In this video, I reveal all of my secrets. This breakfast contraption is seriously epic, and comes together in no-time flat. Faster than you could drive to Taco Bell (and then back home again, disappointed because they don’t have a vegan breakfast option) you could be chowing down on this wrap in the comfort of your very own home.
- Flour tortillas – You want to use a good-sized tortilla, probably around 10 inches in diameter.
- Frozen hash browns – Use your favorite from the frozen food section. I find mine at Trader Joe’s. Prepare according to package directions. Or sub in your favorite breakfast potato.
- Tofu scramble (recipe below)
- Vegan breakfast meats – I used Gardein Meatless Breakfast Patties and I was very happy with the results. If you can’t find those, or don’t want to use “fake” meats, just throw in some sauteed onions and peppers and call it a day.
- Veganized Taco Bell Jalapeno sauce (recipe below)
- Vegan cheese – I used grated Violife cheddar. Your favorite vegan cheese will be fine. I would even bet that a vegan cheese sauce would be excellent in this.
Tofu Scramble (enough for 2 wraps):
- 7 ounces of firm or extra tofu, drained, but not pressed
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl, break up the tofu into scrambled egg sized chunks. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl, and delicately stir the tofu so that it gets coated in the seasoning. Add a bit of oil to a nonstick pan, and bring to a medium heat. Pour in the seasoned tofu. Cook on medium until the tofu has firmed up a bit, and is beginning to brown on all sides. Taste for seasoning.
*When I made this dish, I browned up the vegan sausage in the pan first, and then cooked the tofu scramble in the pan with the sausage. I would recommend doing this to add a bit more flavor to your scramble.
Taco Bell Jalapeno Sauce:
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream or plain vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of finely diced pickled jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pickling liquid
- 1 teaspoon vegan sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
Add all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Allow to chill and develop flavors for a bit before serving. If you wanted to make this slightly healthier, you could probably just use a ½ cup of plain vegan yogurt and omit the vegan mayo. I haven’t tried it, but it would have to be equally delicious.
Take a soft tortilla, and add a portion of vegan cheese to the center. If your tortilla seems a bit dry, microwave it for about 7 seconds. Spoon a helping of your tofu scramble and vegan sausage on top of the cheese. Add a bit more cheese, and a good slathering of your jalapeno sauce. Top with a crispy hash brown. Fold over one side of the tortilla so that it comes to the center of the hash brown. Working clockwise, continue to fold each side into the center.
Turn a pan on medium heat. Place the wrap seam-side down into the pan. Allow to cook, making sure your pan isn’t too hot, until the wrap is browned-up and crispy. Flip it over, and allow the other side to brown. Serve warm with more jalapeno sauce, or your favorite taco sauce.