Sundays were made for two things: laziness and brunch. I’ve devised this perfect, “half-ass homemade” recipe that is sure to satisfy all of your lazy Sunday brunching needs. I’ll show you how to turn cornbread mix into waffles, tofu into eggs, cashews into a chipotle cream sauce, and fake turkey into fake chicken. I stack all that goodness up, with a few healthy greens, and set it atop some frozen hash browns. Brunch is done. Quick, easy, and quite photogenic.
- Cornbread Waffles (recipe hack below)
- Vegan Fried Chicken (No hack. Just buy it.)
- Tofu “egg” (recipe below)
- Chipotle Hollandaise (recipe below)
- Fresh spinach
- Hash browns (optional but necessary)
Cornbread Waffles (Trader Joe’s cornbread mix hack):
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s cornbread mix
- 4 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
- 1 cup plant based milk
Add the ingredients to a bowl, and stir to combine.
Heat your waffle iron to a medium-brown setting. Add the cornbread batter to your waffle iron; cook until golden brown.
- 1 block of firm tofu, drained and dried
- Olive oil or vegan butter
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
Depending on the size and shape of your waffled, cut your tofu into a similar shape, and about ½ inch thick. Sprinkle nutritional yeast, salt and pepper on both sides. Add a bit of olive oil to a pan, and cook your tofu on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion.
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked
- ¾ cup filtered water
- juice of half of a lemon (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell pepper.
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, seeds and veins removed.
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add the onions to a pan with a bit of oil or vegan butter, and saute until tender, about 4 to 5 minuts. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
Add the remaining ingredients into a blender, along with the garlic and onions, and blend until all the grit is gone. Add more liquid if it seems too thick. Season to taste. Make it punchy!
Depending on the size and shape of your waffle, divide it so that each person you are serving gets 2 equal portions. Place the waffle on the plate, then layer the spinach, tofu, vegan chicken, and then top with the chipotle hollandaise. Add fresh chives for garnish. Serve with mashed potatoes or hash browns on the side or underneath. Brunch!